2011/09/21

Typhoon problems, ATM issues

Well its Typhoon season here in Hachioji. Which means a bunch of rain and wind. No umbrella is safe. It started raining really lightly in the morning when I woke up for class, then about half way through my second class it started getting crazy. Then then announced that all classes after 1:00 have been canceled. Lucky for the people who have later in the day classes. Doesn't really matter to me because my last class ends at 12:30. They canceled because the main part of the storm was going to hit us around 2:00 and it would be unsafe for people coming to and leaving the school. So a bunch of us walk home, umbrellas inverting every 5 minutes from sudden gusts of wind. I get back to the dorm around 2:00 and am told the entire dorm building is kind of on lock down. No one is allowed to leave without permission, and keep our electricity use to a minimum just in case there is a power surge. The storming continues until about 7:00. There wasn't much to do at the dorms. Today would have been a good day to have the Wii hooked up for everyone to play but oh well. So I did my homework just in case tomorrows classes weren't canceled, and then napped until dinner. Now the storming has calmed down around 9:00 but it is expected to be happening again tomorrow which we are all looking forward to.

Other than that a couple other things have happened. The biggest issue I have been having here is keeping my cash flow up. Before coming here I heard from people and read that I wouldn't have to worry about having cash on me to much because everywhere will accept credit cards. All lies. about 90% of food stores and restaurants do not take any credit cards, American or Japanese. It is about the same percentage for most other places unless it is a huge electronic store like Yodobashi Camera. So I have to have cash wherever I go if I want to buy anything. This isn't so much the problem I have. The issue I have is actually getting my hands on cash. I have my ATM card from America activated for international use, but unfortunately in all of Hachioji there are 2 ATM's that I can actually use. One on campus of Soka University, and one in down town in a post office near the train station. Then when I am out traveling around Japan, like to Tokyo Game Show or Akihabara I have to go hunting for a post office if I don't have cash on me. But! also when I find the ATM it is not always a guarantee that I can get cash out. It is weird, sometimes I can take out like 25000 yen at a time, and other times on completely different days and times it will not let me withdraw as large an amount, and I have to do like 3 or 4 smaller transactions which ends up costing me a bunch extra because my bank charges me per transaction/ATM withdrawal. It is weird and seems to be completely random. I may buy an international phone card and call the banks from the international phone booth on campus to see if they know why its happening.

Other than those two things I haven't done much else. We plan on making another trip to Akihabara this weekend to check out everything we weren't able to see the first time, weather permitting of course. I plan on going back to the Kyudo club tomorrow night also weather permitting. So we will see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Brett, I told you they only use cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett:

    Maybe there is an American bank like Chase or Bank of America nearby where you can withdraw a larger amount of cash. That might work for you.

    I totally loved your post about TGS - great pictures and a very good description. Maybe you can become a game reviewer or get press credentials as a freelance (bet the ATL Journal & Costitution would buy your stories) and get into the press events. They give out really complete press kits and the like.

    Glad to see you've learned your way around. I'm gettin the idea that Tokyo is vast and it would take most of a lifetime to learn it all. You're doing a good job keeping us posted so thanks for that.

    Looking forward to your next post. You have a real knack for spinning a story and making it interesting. A bunch of us (most are not posting but I know they are reading your stories) are living vicariously through your experiences. Keep em coming.

    Much love, dad

    ReplyDelete