2011/10/24

Earthquakes, Shodo, and Horse Meat

Another active weekend has past here, it is going on 2 month that I have been gone.

Friday was slightly different from other Fridays. We had a campus wide earthquake drill.

We got a whole booklet with a little card to fill out that we are supposed to carry with us at all times.The actual guidelines for what to do in case of an emergency were luckily translated for us.

Look at that awesome looking chicken scratch I have.

Then we learnt how to hide under our desks. 

 It was a rather traumatic experience for some


Yup trauma.

Then we filed outside to the large track at Soka University. I assume this is where we are supposed to all head for after the initial quakes have died down.
I'm not sure because the English translation stopped at the little booklet they gave us. In the field they gave a couple different demonstrations of different scenarios during an earthquake. 

Like if you are stuff on top of a building how to get onto a cherry-picker coming to rescue you.
How repelling down a building works? I think 

And fire hose stuff.

Then a guy got up on a stage and talked to us. Couldn't understand a lot of it, but one of the people said he basically said in emergency situations do whatever you can to survive. Everything else he said was praising us for how orderly and calmly we walked to the field. As if an earthquake hadn't happened at all. 

Then we all filed back to the main campus for lunch.
 
SURVIVAL FOOD.
At least it was a free "lunch"

A bag of instant rice, some canned food, and drink.

The lunch of of survivors.

The rice didn't taste to bad. And who wants to guess what was in the can?
 The name in Japanese actually rhymes with can
Plus with the little thing they gave us to open it it took about 15 minutes to open.

 IT'S A MUFFIN
Well actually it is supposed to be pan(bread). It didn't taste all that bad, but then again it didn't really taste at all.

Quick was a lucky bastard. He got in a different line and ended up getting a Hotdog.

Then classes continued as normal. The upcoming class only had about 40 minutes left but we went anyway. It was the Culture class which is usually interesting. This week was going to be Shodo, Japanese Calligraphy. But because we only had 1/3 the time that we usually do all we learnt about was how to prepare the materials.



Then class ended before we could learn about writing, but we will be doing that this Friday. That was the end of stuff on Friday.

I spent most of Saturday being lazy. At night me and a group of others went to a local bar that serves nothing but horse meat.


The thing on the right was a free energy drink they were giving out that night (no idea why), the center thing was a free appetizer of horse meat, and on the right was my first drink of the night. Forgot what it was called, but was pretty strong with lots of alcohol. I think it was some kind of plum wine. Then after that the multiple types of horse meat came.
 This was apparently Korean Style. It is raw horse meat, with a raw egg cracked on top.
 These are horse sausages. each one was a different part of the horse.
 Hard to tell what this is just by looking at it because of the low lighting but this is raw horse meat. 5 different parts of the horse. Leg, neck, back, stomach, and something else.
 This was a tempura fried horse meatball thing.
 This was my favorite dish of the night. It raw horse meat mixed with avocado in a kind of sauce, then you put it on a cracker, or a little piece of bread. Very tasty.
 This was just a giant rice ball.
This was fried horse meat.

Then more sake came.

It was fun going there with a bunch of the guys from our dorm.




All in all the horse meat was ok. When it was cooked it was hard at times to distinguish the taste from other meats like chicken or pork. Maybe it was over cooked or something. But when raw, and when they served us the different parts of the horse you could taste the difference, not only from different meats, but each part of the horse tasted distinctly different. Plus it wasn't very filling. But still enjoyable. For 6 of us the price came out to be around 16000yen, or around $180us. So it came out to about $30 a person, and that was with everyone drinking sake and beer. I would definitely go there again, they had a whole 3 page menu of horse dishes and we only tried 6. Plus when I told some of the people from Quebec that we had gone here they got all excited saying they wanted to go, because its hard to find horse meat outside of Quebec and France.

Then after eating a couple of us walked around some of the video arcades in the area. 
 Everyone was trying to win these little claw games, and were failing and wasting quite a bit of money, one guy spent like 800yen ($10) trying to get one thing, and bare in mind, the claw machines here are 100yen each, not .50cents like most in America.
 Then I got this on my first try. It some weird anime (shin-chan I think) character in a horse suit. He is now strapped to the back of my bike. Because almost all bikes here look the same and it takes forever to find mine in a group.We got home around 12:30am

Then Sunday came and I slept in till about 11:00am. Went shopping for some stuff, and spent the rest of the day doing some studying and being kind of lazy. Nothing big is happening this week to my knowledge, but no one has made any plans for the weekend yet. I know some people are doing stuff for Halloween, but there is no trick or treating or things like that here. Its more just used as an excuse to party. I did hear that the park where the "Ringu" movie was partially filmed at was actually within walking distance of the dorms. Its the area where the creepy girl climbs out of the well. bare in mind this is the original, much better Japanese horror movie, not the crappy American remake. Here a scene with the area I'm talking about. Here a scene from the movie off youtube.


I can't say I have every believed in ghosts, or supernatural things like that. And I haven't been scared by a horror movie since I was a lot younger. But I hear this place is pretty creepy so who knows what will happen. So who knows.





2 comments:

  1. Brett:

    I could probably get through everything but the dish with the raw egg - would probably pass / pass out right there.

    The movie clip made me want to see the Japanese version of the movie - wonder how they got Michael Jackson to be in it (the scene with the eye looking through the hair - OMG).

    Great story - guess you need to serve sake with the horsemeat for the uninitiated.

    You missed a good egg roll party back in MI. Everyone drank a toast to you and mentioned we'd do it again once you're home.

    Take care - I really enjoy your updates.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Brett!
    I was just looking through your blog and I have to give you some serious props for how well you're preserving everything that's happening and I really appreciate it! I was planning on making a blog as well when I got here but as soon as I did I found that I no longer wanted to. I think you're doing a much better job than I would have, so I'm happy that I will one day be able to look back at what you've posted in moments of wild nostalgia. Yoku dekita for real. Pax.

    ReplyDelete